About ToothIQInformation, choice, and transparency for patients, dentists, dental students, and dental schools.
ToothIQ.com was developed by Symbyos, a small company in Louisville, Colorado USA, founded in 2001, dedicated to produce high-quality, trusted dental information for patients, dentists, and dental schools. We believe that information, choice, and transparency are the fundamental building blocks of optimal healthcare. When dentists and patients can communicate effectively, and patients can be empowered to participate in the treatment planning of their own oral health, a trusting bond is formed between doctor and patient – leading to value-based dentistry and better treatment outcomes. The information provided on ToothIQ.com is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician.
ToothIQ.com for Patients
Our goal for ToothIQ.com is to provide unbiased general information to help you (the average patient) to understand dental symptoms, dental diagnoses, and dental procedures. Only a licensed dentist can diagnose and recommend treatment options for your specific needs. However, you can use this site to learn more about potential options so that you can have enough information to ask questions.
ToothIQ.com for Dentists
ToothIQ Collaborations with Dental Schools
University of Colorado School of Dental Medicine
The University of Colorado School of Dental Medicine has licensed ToothIQ’s cloud-based dental application (edu.toothiq.com) for several years. CU SDM has recently integrated ToothIQ’s dental animation library into its treatment planning process as part of its meaningful use incentive.
University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio School of Dentistry
In collaboration with the University of Colorado School of Dental Medicine, ToothIQ has worked closely with the University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio School of Dentistry to connect many ToothIQ topics to UT Health Science Center’s oral health evidence-based practice program’s searchable Critically Appraised Topics (CATs) database. Links to the CATs library are also being integrated into ToothIQ.com.
At the UT Health Science Center (https://cats.uthscsa.edu), students and faculty work together to find and report the strongest, most recent, and most relevant evidence pertaining to dental diagnosis and treatment. The information is evidence-based and current, updated as new research is published. It provides users with up-to-date evidence-based answers to over 1000 clinical questions.
Note: The CATs Oral Health Library was established with a grant from the NIDCR, NIH R25DE018663 and is currently supported, in part by U.S. Health Resources and Services Administration Grant D84HP19953.
ToothIQ.com for Dental School Students
How can ToothIQ help dental students?
1. During your pre-clinical years, ToothIQ can help you to better understand the conditions you’ll be treating, and provide some additional pathways to follow for additional information. It can help you to understand the procedures you’ll be performing when you begin treating patients.
2. During your clinical years, ToothIQ’s extensive video database can be linked to the Treatment Planning module of your school’s electronic health record, to help your patients better understand the specific procedures you recommend for them. ToothIQ automatically logs an entry in the electronic health record whenever your patient views a video about procedures you recommend.
ToothIQ and State Health Departments
We are pleased to announce our first collaboration with a U.S. State Health Department: the Tennessee Department of Health. http://www.tn.gov/health/section/oralhealth
The Tennessee Department of Health has recently updated their website and ToothIQ has provided several videos to help enhance patients’ understanding of oral health topics.
Trustworthy Oral Health Information
We’ve worked hard to make this site trustworthy by creating unbiased dental information, having it peer reviewed, and then having it certified trustworthy by a world renowned healthcare website certification organization (Health on the Net in Geneva, Switzerland). Here is more information:
The text content on ToothIQ.com was written by the following dental professionals.
- Thomas J. Greany, DDS • General Dentistry • Louisville, Colorado
- William A. Brachvogel, DDS, FAGD • General Dentistry • Private Practice • Boulder, Colorado
Our Dental and Medical Review Board
It is important for medical information to be peer-reviewed.
We gratefully acknowledge the following dentists, physicians, and registered dental hygienists for their participation in the review of ToothIQ.com. They do not receive any compensation for reviewing ToothIQ’s content, except complimentary access to the ToothIQ video library. Their feedback has helped us to improve this site. Thank you!
- Sheila A. Barone, BS, RDH • Dental Hygienist • Denver, Colorado
- William A. Brachvogel, DDS, FAGD • General Dentistry • Private Practice • Boulder, Colorado
- Ranae L. Bunker, RDH, BS • Dental Hygienist • Ogden, Utah
- Tara L. Carroll, DDS • General Dentistry • Private Practice • Thornton, Colorado
- Steven T. Chetham, MD, FACP • Board Certified, Internal Medicine • Board Certified, Gastroenterology • Associate Clinical Professor of Medicine • University of Colorado, Denver
- Matthew S. Davis, DDS • Endodontics • Private Practice • Thornton, Colorado • Director of Endodontics for Hospital Based Dentistry • University of Colorado School of Dental Medicine
- John R. Dodge, DMD, MS • Board Certified, Periodontics • Private Practice • Boulder, Colorado
- Byron J. Greany, DDS • General Dentistry • Reviewer Emeritus • Spokane, Washington
- Thomas J. Melcher, DDS, MS • Board Certified, Orthodontics • Private Practice • Louisville, Colorado
- Michael P. Molvar, DDS, MS • Assistant Dean and Quality Officer, Retired • University of Nebraska Medical Center • College of Dentistry
- Victor Raposo, DMD • Board certified, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery • Private Practice • Lafayette, Colorado
- Juan Sauza, DDS • General Dentistry • Private Practice • Longmont, Colorado
- William D. Whetstone, MD, FACP • Board Certified, Emergency Medicine • Associate Clinical Professor of Emergency Medicine • Medical Director, SFGH Emergency Department • University of California, San Francisco
Editor and Webmaster
This site is edited and maintained by Ken Lambrecht, an Internet professional with over 35 years of programming and systems administration experience, including 21 years of Web development experience. He developed all of the technical infrastructure of ToothIQ.com and all ToothIQ services. He also holds a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Colorado in Boulder.
He can be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Disclosure of Funding Sources
This site was developed, is maintained, and is funded exclusively by the private company Integrated Compensation Services LLC dba Symbyos. Symbyos does not accept funding by pharmaceutical companies or other commercial entities such as dental products and services companies. Furthermore, Symbyos was not influenced by any third party entity to create specific dental content that would direct users to their products and/or service. There are no known conflicts of interest.
Health on the Net Certification
The Health On The Net (HON) Foundation certifies health websites that pass their criteria for trustworthy health information. We actually originally went through the certification process before we launched the site. ToothIQ.com has been HON certified since day one.
This page was last updated on September 26, 2016
If you like us, spread the word!
Tell your friends about ToothIQ.com. If you’re a dentist, tell your fellow dental school colleagues. (We understand that you may not want to to tell other dentists in your area about how you’re using ToothIQ to help educate your patients, involving them in the decision-making process, and building more trusting relationships as a result! 🙂 You can also link to ToothIQ.com from your dental website. We will also be much better about using social media – and would be honored if you liked and followed us.
We’d love to hear from you
We will feature short surveys on ToothIQ.com. We hope that you will be so kind as to answer these questions as it will help us help you. In general, the surveys will ask you questions about ToothIQ.com: What you you like? What don’t you don’t like? What can we do better? What would you like to see added?
In addition to the surveys, WE LOVE FEEDBACK! It all helps us to improve. So please let us know what we can do better. And we love to know if this site helped you.
Where we live
901 Front Street, Suite 220
Louisville, CO 80027
Keeping it free
We started developing ToothIQ.com 10 years ago. A lot of time and expense has gone into developing, updating, hosting, and otherwise maintaining the site. In fact, the site has just been through an extensive upgrade that we hope will better serve our users. Our revenue to date has been based on licensing our videos to dentists, dental schools, and dental insurance company websites.
We appreciate the support of everyone who has ever visited ToothIQ.com since its launch in 2008 – and to you reading this now. We appreciate you! And we will strive to engage more, listen more, and improve what we are doing.